Tuesday, November 27, 2007

New Animal Farm cover

Even though I'm pretty happy with the cover I have, I'm now toying with this new cover design idea. I've sketched it out really roughly, but I'm thinking it will have to be an illustration (which I'm pretty confident I can do) retouched in photoshop.

Set on a farm with barnyard animals as the main characters, the principal plot surrounds the pigs, led by Napoleon, and how they introduce communism to the farm only to become sour totalitarian dictators, eventually neglecting their rules, promises and comrades. In fact, they eventually epitomize the "two-legged" humans they initially swore as enemies.

On this cover, Napoleon -- dressed in Red Army garb-- stands upon a haystack-pedestal in a spotlight, surrounded by his perky-eared comrades, who surround him in the foreground shadows.

I'm thinking I'll need a good chunky typeface for "Animal Farm" to go in the haystack which Napoleon the pig is standing on, and have "George Orwell" as a serif in white down center in the shadows.

No comments: